Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Job Wanted: My Ideal Job Description

I need a job, so while I am searching for roles and positions I think I am qualified for in the traditional way, I am creating my own Job Wanted ad and sending it to companies I think I would like to work for.

This is the job I want:

Job Wanted:

Hazardous journey, fair wages for the work performed, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success.

Opportunity to lead teams and develop people, promote organizational values while creating excellence in performance, constant challenges, provides the how to the organizational why, meaningful results are rewarded.

Send response if you’re curious how my optimism and leadership can contribute to your success, or you would like to assemble a team that can weather anything. Safe or mediocre positions need not respond.

For resume, please send request to lars.ray.0@gmail.com

If this looks vaguely familiar, it’s because the first paragraph is a modified version of the infamous Help Wanted advertisement posted by Ernest Shackleton in 1914 for his epic adventure to the South Pole. The rest of it is my own.

Taken literally or as a metaphor, the first paragraph speaks to what I am looking for in a role. I want a role with a sense of adventure, filled with challenges to overcome and a goal that is inspiring. The remaining paragraphs are the strengths I utilize to deliver the results.

It has been said that if you do not work to fulfill your dreams, then you will work to fulfill someone else’s dreams. I’m OK with this, so long as your dreams are big enough to inspire and are worth the risks. It is then that I make your dream my own, and together we achieve the seemingly impossible, boldly inspiring growth along the way. 

I have lots of skills that are transferable to almost any industry. I can do most any task from mopping the deck to plotting a course; from managing a project to creating a center of excellence filled with teams who deliver the business. So can most anyone else. What I contribute that others do not is the passion to be a part of a team that makes a difference to the business and to its customers when a “safe return is doubtful”.

Do you have a position that requires this kind of employee to ensure your success? Is your dream this big? If so, I would like to work for you.

Question: What is your ideal role?


Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I’d like to know what you think. Feel free to let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment