Monday, January 27, 2014

The Power of Questions

It has been said that questions, especially those that that make us ponder, have the magnificent power to transform our destiny. The quality of your life is equal to the quality of the questions you ask. For example:

“What am I doing right now that is life affirming?”
“How can I add a little more fun to my life in this moment?”
“What can I do to make my life more exciting?”

Questions like these cause us to reflect, to daydream and to think of possibilities as potential answers. And then, as they so often do, they fade away as the next urgent matter crosses our path.

Instead of making resolutions at the beginning of the year that I do not plan to keep, I asked myself just two questions;
  1.      What do I want?
  2.      Once determined, what am I going to do about it?

There is an inherent power in these two questions, and seeking their answer is my quest for the year.  Asking them helps me narrow my focus to what I really want, and how I will go about achieving it. They leave little room for fluff or distractions. They help me prioritize what is important and challenge me to be true to myself. They keep me accountable, and inspire me to grow. Answering them reveals my potential and helps me achieve goals that matter.

When people ask me for assistance in helping them achieve a goal, my first question is what is it they want? Once answered, my job is to challenge their present thought process to consider ideas and options they hadn't thought of, and to help them discover new ways to reach their potential.

These questions apply to my corporate clients as well. At a time when quarterly financial reports are coming out, the usual rhetoric follows – the numbers are down and we need to make changes. New goals are set, the business priorities are aligned and the marching orders are given. But what if the business direction was set by asking these two questions? What would that business look like?

Determining what you want and what you are going to do about it are the first steps to realizing your potential. It applies to your personal life, your relationships, and your career.

So - What do you want and what are you going to do about it?


Question: What questions do you ask that can possibly transform your destiny?


Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I’d like to know what you think. Feel free to let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment